Registration and Accreditation
The Leo Cussen Institute (trading as the Leo Cussen Centre for Law) provides onsite and online Practical Legal Training (PLT) via the Practical Training Course (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice). The Institute further provides onsite Traineeship Programs for Supervised Workplace Training (SWT). These courses are approved by the Council of Legal Education subject to the Legal Profession (Admission) Rules 2008.
The Institute is registered on the Australian Qualifications Framework Register of Recognised Educational Institutions. It is registered as a Higher Education Provider (No 4876) and the Practical Training Course is accredited by the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA):
- L14045 Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (Practical Training Course)
- L14046 Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (Online Practical Training Course)
Leo Cussen is registered on the National Register of Higher Education Providers, as required under Schedule 3, Part 2, section 3 (3) of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) Act 2011. The TEQSA Provider Number is: 12155.
The Practical Training Course (Onsite) Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) provider code is 02224A and the CRICOS Course Code is 039593D. The Online Practical Training Course is not currently available to Overseas Students.
Leo Cussen Institute does not engage agents for the purposes of recruiting Overseas Students.
The Institute is a Higher Education Provider (HEP) for the provision of FEE-HELP (Commonwealth) 4402.
The Institute is also approved to provide:
- the practical legal training component of articles of clerkship onsite in Western Australia
- Traineeship Programs in Queensland
- Continuing Professional Development programs for Western Australian lawyers.
The Leo Cussen Centre for Law is a member of the following organisations:
- Australasian Professional Legal Education Council (APLEC)
- Continuing Legal Education Association of Australasia (CLEAA)
- Australian Council for Private Education and Training (ACPET)
- Australian Student Tuition Assurance Scheme (ASTAS)
- Council of Private Higher Education (COPHE)
- Association for Continuing Legal Education (ACLEA).
The Executive Director of the Centre represents APLEC as a member of the Law Admissions Consultative Committee (LACC).